Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

Through this class we have all been exposed to many new and exciting things. Beyond this exposure we have had the opportunity to explore these new things, research their past, discuss their present, and speculate on their future. As I think back about the comments I’ve made throughout this course, I realize that all my posts that address the future of social media tools all sound the same.

In each post, I say that the tool will probably be around for another two or three years, at which time it will be replaced by something better, something more technologically advanced. Some of my classmates agreed with me, saying that is only a matter of time before things like Facebook go the way of the mimeograph.

With the thought that all things slowly die or are replaced before their death by something better swimming in my head, I was amazed by what I saw on MSN today. Did you know that Sesame Street turned 40 today (11/10/09)?! I remember watching Sesame Street when I was a little kid; Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers were the best!

So tell me, how does something like Sesame Street survive for 40 years? What is it about that program that made it capable of withstanding years of changes? Could it have something to do with Caroll Spinney, who has been playing Big Bird since the beginning? Is it because parents who watched Sesame Street let their children watch it because they know it’s age-appropriate? Or perhaps it is the long laundry list of celebrities that have had a cameo on Sesame Street (First Lady Michelle Obama is one). Or maybe it is the simple fact that nothing and nobody can ever replace the quality television baby-sitter / pre-school teacher that many parents rely on Sesame Street for.

If you ask the crew members, the show’s success has to be at least partly attributed to the fact that they stay with the times. The show has discussed birth, death, marriage, shootings, natural disasters, 9/11, and now the H1N1 flu. Perhaps this is what keeps people coming back…

Whatever the case, Sesame Street is indeed 40 years old and 122 Emmys strong, and it doesn’t sound like the crew has any plans of stopping. Although this season started with episode number 4187, there are many adventures left for the characters that live, work and play on Sesame Street.

Perhaps social media creators need to use Sesame Street as a case study to learn how their tools can stand the test of time while retaining a very large, very visible presence. In this new age, it would appear that Sesame Street doesn’t just offer lessons to pre-school children anymore!

I want to know: who is your favorite Sesame Street character and why? Mine is Cookie Monster because I feel like we’re kindred spirits; both fighting our addiction, and more often than not losing, to cookies!

5 comments:

  1. I think parents that watched Sesame Street do let their children watch it because they know it is appropriate for kids. It is also a great learning show for kids. They can learn and practice their alphabet, numbers, words, and much more from this show. My favorite was Ernie when I was a kid and now Elmo has grown on me because of my niece. Ernie was always nice and easy going I felt. It is amazing how long Sesame Street has been on air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my daughter was little she watched a Sesame Street and Mr. Rodgers everyday at least once and sometimes twice. Now that she has her own daughter she has started turning on Sesame Street for her daughter to view and learn sounds and images. Unfortunately Mr. Rodgers is no longer with us but I am sure that if he were still on public TV she would be tuning him in.

    When we found out that Amanda and her husband Ryan were expecting Jay and I went to Barnes and Noble and bought some books one of which was Mr. Rodgers, who my husband likes because he was a former Marine – oohrah, and sent them to the happy couple.

    Looks like our daughter’s turn to tell her child how to get to Sesame Street which I know is located in a wonderful neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I didn't realize Sesame Street was still on. I used to watch both that and Mr. Rogers almost every day.

    I think Sesame Street survived because it has puppets and therefore the characters don't "age". Also, it is for children and when those children grow up, other children replace them. If it was an adult show, the people would eventually get sick of the show.

    My favorite Sesame Street character was probably Elmo, just because he is always happy. Now I think he's a little TOO happy. He's so happy it's kind of freaky. Also, I always liked Snuffleupagus and Oscar the Grouch. I don't know why I liked either of them, since they both aren't very likeable. I think I just liked Oscar's trash can house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I had a favorite--I liked Bert & Ernie because I thought it was so cool they lived in their own place. Elmo didn't come around until after I no longer watched Sesame Street and I still find him a tiny bit annoying. I LOVE Oscar the Grouch. He has such a great sense of humor.

    I think Sesame Street has endured for the same reason I like movies like Toy Story--it does not assume children are dumb. It doesn't talk down to them. It's entertaining and intelligent. And a lot of the humor only adults would get which makes it more entertaining for them if they watch it with their kids. Watching it with their kids is better for the kids anyway. At least then the kids and parents can bond a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather -

    I have to say that Big Bird is my favorite from Sesame Street. I think it was because Big Bird was a big, tall character, but at the same time, she was gentle and caring. I enjoyed watching Sesame Street, and I know my parents appreciated having a decent kids' show on television. Most of the others had no point or learning activities at all. I think that having the simplicity of Sesame Street helped, and also kids were able to understand complicated topics such as death and marriage. It made more sense seeing it through Sesame Street.

    ReplyDelete