Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Women Have Value!!

To all the guys in this class that may decide to read my blog for this week, I would like to apologize in advance. I am taking some time to talk about “women issues” this week, so if you feel like being enlightened, please, read on!

Today I had the pleasure of eating lunch with over 400 women from Cass and Clay Counties. No, that is not a typo; I actually did eat lunch at the Ramada Plaza & Suites with over 400 women. We were all there for the Women’s Leadership Council (a division of United Way) Luncheon. This was the ninth annual luncheon that the WLC has done, and by far the largest turnout they have ever had.

I arrived shortly before the opening speaker grabbed the microphone, so I ended up at one of the side tables near the back. From there I was able to observe those hundreds of women interacting with one another, sharing stories, laughter, groans of frustration, and squeals of excitement. The energy in the room was so palpable that I couldn’t help but feel energized and ready to take on whatever challenge the keynote speaker would give us.

The keynote this year was Victoria Rowell, better known to some of us as Drucilla from the daytime soap The Young and the Restless. Her challenge to all the women in the room was to give of ourselves, whether that be through volunteering, giving a financial gift, being a foster parent (she was a foster child and credits much of her success to her foster mother and the system), or any other way that you can help another human being.

Too often I think women undervalue or devalue the power of what they are capable of doing for the people in their lives. I know that I am sometimes guilty of thinking that the little that I could do wouldn’t be enough to make a difference, so I just don’t do anything. Listening to Victoria Rowell today helped me realize that the little things are sometimes the most important. Your gift of yourself doesn’t have to come in a $10,000 package, it can just be you in a pair of faded jeans, ready to volunteer your time and your enthusiasm to make someone’s life better.

After I got back to the office this afternoon, I typed the phrase “do women value themselves” into my search engine. One of the links that popped up was for a woman that does life coaching for other women. This really struck me because I cannot imagine a man receiving life coaching from another individual, regardless of sex.

Why is it that women have to be coached to believe that their life has value? Why isn’t our value self-evident to us in all of the small and large things we do for our employers, our families, and our friends every day? I made a pledged to myself today to start placing more of a value on the things that I do for all the people in my life. No, I’m not going to start charging people for things, but I am going to take the time to pat myself on the back more often for what I do to make life easier for the people around me.

I encourage all of my female classmates to really think about the good things that you are capable of doing for those in your inner circle and those within your community. Take a page from Sarah Palin’s book and take a risk. Stand up for something that you truly believe in; give a project your all because you know it will make a difference; and just believe in yourself and your value!

I know my post didn’t really address any current events, but it was something I was compelled to write. Thank you to anyone that read my post, and thank you in advance for the great things that I know you will go out and do, both in the near future and throughout your lifetimes!

1 comment:

  1. Heather -

    I love the fact that you took the time to write about the important issues that women don't think about on a daily basis. I appreciate the reminder! I work part-time in the one of the on-campus offices at the college. All of the faculty that I work with on a daily basis in my current office and the office across the hallway are women. It's interesting working in an environment with all women. It's a lot different than with all men. I hear a lot more thank yous and compliments than I have in previous jobs. Maybe that's just my experience, but I hope that women do feel more value for what they do.

    ReplyDelete