Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Social Media is like a Weed - Popping up Everywhere!

If you have ever purchased a new vehicle, have you ever experienced that feeling that everyone in your community either drives the same vehicle as you do or has one the same color? Have you ever purchased a really neat gadget, thinking you were so on top of things, and then realized that everyone you see has the same gadget?

Well, that is how I have been feeling lately in regard to social media tools. Before this class started, social media tools were not in the forefront of my mind. I did not spend hours each day on Facebook or Twitter or BlogSpot; I knew they existed, but was not an avid user or consumer. Now, it seems that everywhere I turn I see or hear references to one tool or another.

Very early this morning (Tuesday), a student from Shanley High School was found dead in his home, perhaps from a “big hit” he sustained during a high school football last night. Friends of mine have a son that knew Nick from summer football camps, and he told me that I would not believe the number of hits Nick’s Facebook page had received by the end of school today. Not only do students use their pages as a way to keep friends updated, they also use them as a sort of virtual memorial to a lost friend. Although wrapped in sadness, the concept is extremely cool, especially for when the family is ready to view the page.

This afternoon, some students at West Fargo High School discovered a low level threat written on the bathroom wall. Almost before district administration could be notified, students had texted, e-mailed, or tweeted to people outside the building about what had been found. If the threat had been more serious, parents would probably have been on the scene before administration arrived from the district office! This ability of students to inform their parents and other outside people with the tapping of a few keys makes work tough for school officials. If discussing this type of message wasn’t hard enough, they now have to do it ASAP, so as not to be beaten by a text from a student.

The women’s group that I am a part of met last week to discuss how we want to keep our group together over the years, and the unanimous choice was by creating a Facebook group. I was one of two people that had to make the announcement of shame that I did not have a Facebook account, but would promise to get one so we can make good on this group. I am still unsure why we had to move away from e-mailing; it seemed to work just fine for the last ten months, but apparently e-mail is so last season :)

Finally, I received an e-mail notification of a sale at one of my favorite clothing stores, Ann Taylor Loft. At the bottom of the e-mail, underneath the photographs of the sale items, was a little box that said “Find Us on Facebook!” Holy cow! When did clothing stores get Facebook accounts, and what the heck do they use them for?!

All in all, social media tools are popping up all over the place, sometimes where you least expect them to. Look out world; even if you’re not ready for social media, it’s ready and knocking down the door for us!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I have felt that way before. I actually know a couple people who don't have Facebook accounts because they are *too* popular. I don't find its popularity a bad thing; I find it a good thing because almost all of my friends have it, so I am able to keep in touch with all of them. I really think that a Facebook group is a great way of keeping in touch. I am in groups with people from old jobs and whatnot and I find it better than email. Probably because it's essentially easier to communicate as a group. One wall post or discussion forum can get a whole conversation going among the group without the worry of others in the group not getting the memo. All they have to do is go to the group's page to see what's going on; they don't have to wait for emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who was on Facebook and dropped her account because she felt she was wasting too much time on it. I was surprised how irritated it made me later that I had to email her information, anecdotes, and pictures that I ordinarily relied on Facebook to disperse for me. I begged her to rejoin, but she won't because she doesn't feel she can control her time on the site. I said, why not set limits like you can only check Facebook once a day at 5 pm and only be on there for 15 minutes. She didn't feel this was possible. So I guess I have to keep emailing separately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to see who all is on facebook, twitter and many more of the social media outlets. Although I can say that I don’t post often I can tell you that I check all of the social media outlets that aI subscribe to daily. It helps me to keep up with what is going on with our children, our friends and associates.

    Interestingly enough next week, I will be sending out a message to all of my social media friends about a new company that I have formed to gain recommendations for the business.

    Word of mouth (so to speak) is the most effective form advertising and I hope my social media friends will help me to launch my new business.

    ReplyDelete