Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Fine Line of Social Media Dependence

This last week, something amazing happened to me at work. Someone came to my office building and tried to tell me something. Yes, I know that may not be amazing to most people, but hear me out; I bet you’ll see the “amazingness” by the end of my post!

First, my office building is smack-dab in the middle of the Main Avenue road construction in West Fargo. There is now only one way to get to our building, and that way looks a lot like a dead end or an alley to the untrained eye. You have to be pretty darned determined to find the building, and really competitive if you want to get a parking spot in the lot itself.

Second, the person that came to visit me was from the Ramada Plaza and Suites, one of the largest hotels in the Fargo-Moorhead area. She was the Director of Sales, and she was in my office to talk to me about the $3 million renovations they are starting in November, their new catering menu, and their new corporate member’s club.

After the initial shock wore off, I really listened to her spiel. She was a great salesperson; if their prices weren’t so high and I hadn’t already signed a contract with another hotel, I may have given her my employer’s business. In fact, I would have given her our business for the sheer fact that she came out and saw me. No other hotel in the area has ever sent someone to see me, and we are one of the largest employers in the area!

As we all have discussed over the past five weeks, and longer for some of us, the era of face to face conversations and telephone calls is dying. When I was looking for a hotel for our conferences, I had to go out and practically beg for someone to give me information. No one was waiting on my doorstep, or even on their doorstep, to win my business.

I have seen a lot of retail businesses going the way of social media tools as a way to advertise their product. For businesses that provide services, like hotels and convention facilities, I think the social media tools, websites and brochures are all well and good, but the personal touch cannot die. Before you sign over thousands of dollars, it’s rather comforting to know the person that you’re paying.

So, for any of you that are thinking of going into a service industry, think about my blog. Do you agree that the personal touch will always be needed? Or do you think I’m stuck in the old ways?

4 comments:

  1. Heather-
    Just curious, where do you work at in Fargo?
    I'm glad to hear you say that personal touch cannot die. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by everything being digital. A couple semesters ago I was in a couple online classes, so I felt like I never had any social interaction during the day. I still like to chat face-to-face with someone. That will always be important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice story to hear after hearing about how the internet is taking over the world. And no, I don't think you're stuck up in the old ways. I think that actual human contact is more meaningful than internet contact, and always will be. Of course, internet contact is fun! I love looking at pictures on Facebook. I just try to limit my time on Facebook and similar websites every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree that a personal touch will always be necessary, especially in a service industry. People need to have the feeling they are being listened to and have the feeling that they can respond to another intelligent being, not just a computer. Face-to-face interaction may not be as common as it used to be, but I think it is still just as important. People probably wouldn't have understood your story 10 years ago, and I wonder what it will be like 10 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather -

    It is definitely nice hear that people still go out to promote their business. That small touch of being face-to-face helps out a lot. I feel that a personal touch is always necessary. It shows that they are willing to take time to visit with you, that they care about their company, and that the customers come first. If face-to-face conversations are replaced even more by emails and social networking communication, how will we ever get to know more about coworkers, or even our employers.

    ReplyDelete