Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lawns, Tigers & Hydrants, Oh My!

I know I will not be the only one to blog about Tiger Woods this week, but perhaps my view on it may be a little bit different than most…

As we all know, Woods had a single-vehicle car accident over Thanksgiving weekend. Sounds innocent enough, right? No reason to get all bent out of shape and call in the investigative unit from the police department, right? Apparently, the answer to both of those questions is “wrong!” All anyone can seem to talk about is Woods’ accident and the supposed situation that may or may not have led to him having the accident in the first place.

Yes, it is suspicious that he is not cooperating with the police that wish to interview him. It is also rather odd that he is refusing to have his medical and other records released to the investigative unit involved with the case when he keeps insisting that nothing was the matter. A lot of media are saying that if there is nothing to hide, there should be no problem. However, I encourage all of you to think about what your reaction would be if the police or the media asked for your records after you were in a car wreck that you knew was nothing more than a momentary slipup. I know I would be upset that they didn’t believe me and felt that they had to check up on me via my records.

Whatever happened to letting people have their privacy? Or, if privacy for a celebrity is too much, what about the common courtesy to respect the Woods’ family wishes? Also, what is it about this incident that is worthy of over 16,000 articles on Google News? From what I remember about car accidents, there’s nothing that spectacular to report about them…

I also think it is unfortunate that Woods may lose his endorsement deals because of this accident. When I rear ended a car four winters ago at an icy intersection, I didn’t lose my job. No one at my place of employment would have even had to know, except for the fact that I had to beg a ride from a coworker until I could get a rental car. I think it is unfair that Woods is losing his endorsements, which are like his job, just because he was in a car accident.

Besides the fact that it “just isn’t fair,” I also don’t like what that says about or to our society. I think it says that unless you are perfect, you’re not worth anything, which is such a sad statement to make. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, and the punishment should fit the crime (how was that for a sentence full of clichés?!).

5 comments:

  1. I think the loss of endorsements has more to do with the 'indiscretions' he is accused of than the car accident.

    I don't think it's fair to subject his family to this kind of invasion, especially if the accusations of an affair are true. That is painful enough for his wife and kids without plastering it all over the TV besides.

    However, that is the price famous people pay for being famous. I don't approve, but that comes with the territory, so I don't feel entirely sorry for him either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be upset if people did not believe me that there was nothing wrong if I got into an accident. People always assume that there is something wrong when accidents happen. We are all human and make mistakes. We just do not accept them as much as we should. I do think it is a little much that Woods may lose his endorsement over this accident. I would understand it more if they could prove that something was actually wrong when the accident happened. I do not feel entirely sorry for him because it is a price he has to pay for being famous, is the invasion of his privacy more than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole endorsement situation is crazy. Doesn't this have to do more with the fact that there was some cheating going on which lead to the accident??

    In fact, I think this whole situation is crazy and I am feeling pretty bad for the guy. People are going to be talking about this for years because he is like the Michael Jordan of Basketball. I do really think that the police need to step back and give him his privacy. As much as we would all love the gossip and the information on him, he is a person and should be granted that wish of having his privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is disappointing on many levels. Tiger was looked up to as a role model for so long, and he seemed to be one of the rare great professional athletes who was able to stay out of trouble. But in today's society where privacy is so rare for high-profile people, it's not surprising at all that this story has become so huge. I hope that Tiger and his wife are able to work through this difficult time and people can once again look up to Tiger as a positive role model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the story of the month and probably next month too. Had Tiger been a golfer with indiscretions in the 60’s you would never have heard about this story. Fast forward to the new digital age with our culture’s curiosity with celebrities and this story makes front page news.

    The problem with all this media attention is that not one person except Tiger and his wife know the entire story so you have 100’s of media outlets publishing their version of the truth and speculating on what happened and why.

    One final note, as a woman I say if his wife caught him fooling around and took a swing at him with his golf club for his dastardly deed then good for her.

    ReplyDelete